Trump Administration to Cut 317,000 Federal Jobs in 2025, Exceeding Earlier Projections
New figures from the Office of Personnel Management show sharper workforce downsizing as Trump pushes to overhaul federal employment.
The human resources director in the Trump administration said that the administration will lay off about 317,000 employees this year— a number higher than earlier estimates.
According to Reuters, Scott Coburn, director of the Office of Personnel Management, said in a statement that the U.S. government hired 68,000 workers in 2025.
Both figures are higher than the estimates Coburn provided earlier this year in interviews with Reuters, where he projected 300,000 departing employees and 50,000 new hires.
The downsizing effort is part of President Donald Trump’s campaign to shrink the federal civilian workforce, which he says is bloated and ineffective. About 2.4 million employees worked in the U.S. government before Trump began his second term.
The Ministry of Government Efficiency, under Trump, oversaw the initial reductions at the start of his second term. Coburn stated in a post on X on Monday that he and White House budget director Russ Vought are working to “institutionalize” the ministry’s mission to restructure the federal workforce. Reuters reported on Sunday that the ministry was dissolved eight months before its term ended.



